Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You should know that you're just a temporary fix

My paper's due Friday. Today is Tuesday. Thus, I will continue Operation Procrastination by blogging. The way I see it, I just turned in a huge project for my UH class, so I deserve a break. Except for the fact that looming on the horizon is my aforementioned English paper, a Spanish paper, Spanish test, and Capstone round 2 interview. So basically I have no business doing anything that is not school-related right now. This week is kicking my butt. I take hope in the fact that it has to end eventually, and next week is a big blank week in my planner. Why is it so easy to write a 3-5 page blog post but when asked to contrast Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience, I just can't make myself do it?

It turns out that my roommate blogs a lot more frequently than me. This is interesting to me because I thought it would be the other way around.

This weekend was a good Tuscaloosa weekend of being outside, watching movies, and just hanging out with friends. I love weekends like this one where you can have just one day of peace and tranquility, free of obligations and deadlines, even if you know in the back of your mind you have to get back to real life eventually. I am actually welcoming the premature warm weather, as much as I love winter. On Saturday, Sarah, Katie and I decided it was our mission to find a dog to play with; it was just that kind of weather. We finally tracked one down and called a near-stranger asking if we could play with his dog for the day. We were elated when he consented, so we spent the day among the trees playing with a happy dog. We are now the Witchhazel Children in case you were wondering. A series of children's books is forthcoming. 

As Katie mentioned, we received news on Friday that one of our teachers, Barry Walker passed away on Friday of a heart attack. We went back for the funeral yesterday, and I was overwhelmed by the number of students who came to show respect for this great man. His former students came from great distances to honor his memory. There will never be another man like Coach Walker. Katie and I talked about memories of him all the way back from the funeral. He loved his students immensely. He genuinely believed in us and our potential. He wouldn't settle for anything less than our best. He used humor to connect with his students and loved each of our quirks. He liked The Office before anyone knew what it was. His ringtone was "Hey Ya" by Outkast. He wore Wallabee's at 66. He lived in the Philippines, Montana, and Alabama. He spent his life teaching and sharing with people what Christ did in his life. He told stories that you were never sure were actually true, that was how incredible his life was. It makes me sad that the next generation will miss out on such a great teacher, but it inspires me to live my life the way he did.

Ok, enough procrastination. I have GOT to work on this paper.

I'll get to it eventually,
Kallam

1 comment:

  1. don't forget to add ato swap to your this week in your planner. attendance is mandatory

    ReplyDelete