Friday, January 23, 2009

Whoa, baby, let the music play

Before anything else, go to my facebook and watch the video of Graham getting knocked off his chair while dancing like a maniac to "Call On Me." I'll be waiting here when you're done.

Finished? Hilarious, isn't it? I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. 

So, I've been working on my whole "do things not on the list" project (see my previous post) and found the perfect opportunity to try it out yesterday. I was driving to the AXO house for dinner, which is an occasion in itself since I usually eat there only once a week due to my own laziness and the generally marginal food served there. Anyway, I was driving over listening to 100.5, my new favorite radio station (keep it alive!) and just as I was turning off of University onto sorority row, they started playing "Dead To You" by Matthew Mayfield. I get really excited when I hear Matthew Mayfield on the radio, mainly because he's awesome, but also because I know him! Ok, his parents go to my church, but still. I found myself sad that I was going to have to stop listening to the song to go in for dinner, but then I glanced down at my clock and saw that I had ten minutes before dinner started.

Suddenly, I HAD to finish listening to the song. I had the burning to desire to keep driving, possibly forever, on open roads, listening to beautiful music (I've said before, this is my happy place). So, I kept driving and listened to the rest of "Dead To You." Next, was one of my favorite Dave Matthews songs which I sang at the top of my lungs. There was a minor glitch in my plan, though when I forgot they blocked off Bryant for construction and I got stuck in traffic and was late for dinner, but that's not the point.

The point is that I came to the realization that music has a big influence on the way I act and feel. Last night, I was driving back from the rec, listening to my "rec mix" full of songs that get me pumped and make me feel good, and "You Don't Know Me" by Ben Folds and Regina Spektor came on. This song will forever remind me of freshman year, fun times, and new friends. I blasted it and just drove around the parking lot until it was over. Then "Washed By the Water" by Needtobreathe came on, and I left my earphones in as I walked from the parking lot to my room, as the song made me feel loved and reminded me I'm not alone.

Music just has that affect on me (or is it effect?). I love the way it can fit my mood, or put me in a different one. It can move me to tears, or make me laugh and sing. Maybe I'm analyzing all this because I've been reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, which is all about music. I really love one line the main character, Rob says: "Sentimental music has this great way of taking you back somewhere at the same time that it takes you forward, so you feel nostalgic and hopeful all at the same time."

That pretty much says it all right there.

Nostalgic and hopeful,
Kallam

1 comment: