Wednesday, April 15, 2009

i get by with a little help from my friends

so doodle and i are having a little post- navs library date... i will paint a mental picture of our camp on floor 3 for you. katie k is fully equipped: computer, earphones, coffee, and stress. she looks focused and very on task. i, on the other hand, am eating twizzlers, drinking a coke, and blogging. typical? yes, indeed. 

side note: i have recently discovered something about my blogging habits. in my blog posts, i always include some stupid little intro paragraph. it usually has nothing to do with what i actually intend to blog about. i am apparently incapable of diving right in. like tonight for example, i did not create this post with the intent of talking about my laziness in the library, and yet somewhere in my thought process i decided it would be a good intro. why? i am not sure... oh well. moving on.

real reason for this post; here it goes. 
today, katie k and i were discussing our friend group. we do this a lot cause we like our friends. they are cool. every now and then, our discussion ventures all the way back to our first introduction to "the friend group." it was one of the very first nights we were here in tuscaloosa. the setting was none other than hill and graham's (and robert's too). katie k, marge, and i were hanging out. at that point, marge was simply an acquaintance. awkward. and katie k was dead set on hanging out with ben's friends. in my opinion, even more awkward. you see, from my point of view, hanging out with ben's friends was pointless. they are older and would have no interest in us, mere freshmen. why waste the time? however, being the  awesome roommate/friend that i am, i didn't put up a fight. at the same time, i am afraid that i made it quite clear that i did not want to be there. although i hate this about myself, i find it nearly impossible to mask my disinterest in certain situations. when we got to the house, it was packed with people i did not know... automatic turn off. i basically pouted alone in the corner the whole time. looking back, i am deeply apologetic for my demeanor. forgive, please.

well, fall semester wore on. although katie k did, i did not spend much time with the older crowd. life was good, but then things began to change around homecoming time. the group i had expected to weather the next four years with was falling apart. naturally, i turned to my roommate and consequently her friends for a place to belong. and thus began my story with the people i never expected to actually be friends with.

i realize this all may sound a little harsh, but i am only saying these things to express my appreciation for the people that have become my best friends over the past few months (you know who you are). they are some of the most forgiving people in the world, and for that, i am eternally grateful. thank you for loving me for me. i don't care how old everyone is...  i couldn't ask for better friends!

and now i will step off my soapbox. 

in closing, i must announce that ross and rachel broke up today. that "friends" episode never fails to make me sad. i think i might be a little too emotionally involved in that show...

signed,
b

No comments:

Post a Comment