Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rockin' in the dance hall, movin' with you, dancin' in the night in the middle of June

I get a weird sense of deja vu when I come back to Tuscaloosa in the summer. All the places and sights are the same, but I realized the thing that makes me love this town so much is the people that inhabit it. When everyone's gone or busy with summer classes/jobs, it's just not the same. But being here in the summer is really nice in some ways too. I don't have any tours today, so I've just been killing time until the Capstone meeting tonight. I've been able to do things that I never really have time to do during school. Currently, I'm sitting in Panera with my empty bagel plate in front of me taking an entire table to myself while people give me glares because it's the lunch rush. Maybe I'll go to the pool later. 

I am getting in some excellent people-watching. These two guys to my left just conducted a full-blown, official job interview with a young woman, resumé in hand. I must admit, I took out one of my headphones to observe her interview skills and try to figure out what job she was vying for. The guys next to them are in a heated conversation about Alabama football which I am admittedly less interested in.

Last week was a good family week. We went to a wedding of a good friend from Atlanta up in north Georgia. The wedding was beautiful, and it was really cool to see someone I've known since I was born get married to the girl he's been dating since the 5th grade. It was fun to reconnect with childhood friends, too.

After the wedding, we headed to the beach. As usual, we commenced our annual Monopoly game, complete with 3 bowls of M&M's. Things were initially not looking too good for me as I only had 3 properties: Park Place, St. Charles, and Connecticut (compared to my dad's 12). Somehow, though, I was able to make some deals, and ended up getting second place to Ben. I've come a long way from the days when I would burst into tears because I couldn't understand the rules. I also read The Time Traveler's Wife and watched 4 movies on my "You Haven't Seen That?!" list of movies to watch this summer. And I didn't get sunburned. All in all, a successful week. 

Yesterday's tours went really well. I realized that I've missed showing people around the good ol' U of A and after a few nerves, I got right back in the swing of things. Despite our wonderful summer uniforms, I felt the Alabama heat in a big way. I learned my lesson to drink more water. 

Well, I'm going to repack again tomorrow to leave town again. Ben is flying out of NYC for Italy on Monday, so we're getting in a few days in the Big Apple before we see him off. I'm finally gonna get to see Letterman live! The guests? Johnny Depp and Megan Fox. I'm just a little pumped. We were going to see Guys & Dolls with Lauren Graham (see previously blog posts for my love of her), but it closed. So we're currently weighing our options for what will replace it. I don't really care; I will love anything. And I'll find some other way to meet Lorelai Gilmore. 

Having a wonderful summer,
Katie K.


3 comments:

  1. how did i miss that you read the time traveler's wife? did you cry? cause i BAWLED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote on your wall about it! it was SO good. i didnt cry but i was definitely moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. let's go see the hangover...

    ReplyDelete