Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Michael J. Fox was Alex P. Keaton

Hello, old friend. I came to the shocking realization yesterday that I haven't blogged in OVER A MONTH. That is some major slacking. My roommate has posted (count 'em) FIVE times since my last post. That's just plain unacceptable. I know you've missed me. So, dear readers, I am back. Watch me not post again for two months after saying that. 

I had an epic spring break. It was refreshing and encouraging and exactly what I needed. I got the perfect doses of fun, relaxation, and getting pushed outside my comfort zone. The Lord really challenged me in a lot of areas, and it was just so needed. I did not want to come back to my normal life of stress and schedule and school (yeah, alliteration). But the day did come when it was time to come home. I guess I had just blocked out of my mind the amount of work that was waiting for me when I got back, but I was shocked to see that I had two tests and a paper all due within the first three days of being back. Who does that? So, as I wanted to cling to spring break mode, I was forced back into the world of preterite vs. imperfect verb tenses and early Victorian poets.

I also found out that I had to register for classes almost immediately upon returning. Now, registering for classes MAJORLY stresses me out. I'm not really sure why. I think it's because I find myself overwhelmed by a large amount of options, and we got a whole lot of those when it comes to class choices here at the U of A. I envy you nursing majors who have all 4 and a half years mapped out and it's completely set in stone for you. It's the choices that overwhelm me, and all the different requirements for honors and my major. And who knows if I'll even stay in my major? It's these thoughts that paralyze me as I just stare at the one inch thick course catalog. I would really love it if someone would just plan it for me. And ironically enough, the College of Communication does a pretty poor job of communicating when advising is and how to set up appointments.

So, all this to say, I got back with two days to determine what classes I wanted/needed to take next semester without advisement. I promptly called my brother who has advised me astonishingly well in the past and he helped me figure it out. I had my classes ready this morning to sign up for, confident that I was doing the right classes when I logged on to find that the UH class I wanted to take wasn't being offered (It was on the course description they sent out! Shouldn't it be available?!) I was bummed, but also freaking out. Here I was having to make the quick decision on my own. I scanned the available UH writing courses... financial planning? nope. legal writing? nope. entrepeneurship? nope. modern poetry? I clicked on it because it was the only one that sounded mildly interesting to me and fit in the time slot I needed. So, I'm taking a modern poetry seminar. This could be a disaster. I shouldn't be allowed to make decisions like this for myself. 

I plan on taking a rainy nap this afternoon. Heck yeah. Also, "Come On, Eileen" and "Summer Girls" are my songs of the summer. I plan on listening to them over and over if you want to join.

Back with a vengeance,
Katie K.

1 comment:

  1. I like girls who were abercrombie and finch....... yes i know that song

    ReplyDelete