Monday, October 12, 2009

Somehow I feel like that status was directed at me, Ellen.

I had a wonderful fall break weekend in Oxford. But that is not the purpose of this post.

I have a new most embarrassing/hilarious (because the two go hand in hand) moment.

Today, I was in my English British Literature class (I hate the abbreviation "BritLit" blech.) when I decided I needed a bathroom break. I got up from the riveting discussion of Shakespearean sonnets and trekked down all three flights of Morgan Hall to the bathroom. As I walked back to class, as it always does, my mind wandered and I started thinking about what life must have been like as a college student when my mom was here. Did the buildings look different? How had the carpeting changed? Did the stairs always look like this? Really important stuff. Embarrassingly, my interest in buildings as increased significantly since being on Capstone, evident in the fact that I asked Allie about every building we passed in Ole Miss. Anyway, because I was pondering the evolution of Morgan Hall, I wasn't paying attention to my route back to class and absentmindedly sauntered into room 318. As I walked in, I noticed that there was a powerpoint on the board entitled "short essay assignment." My mind immediately started thinking "Oh, crap, this isn't on the syllabus. And where did that projector come from?" Then I looked at the instructor who was looking rather befuddled at me, mid-sentence, then the class of about 35 students gawking at me and giggling.

You see, my class was in room 319. Yes, I was in the wrong room. The last time I did this was in 4th grade when I walked in Miss Howle's old room when I was in fact in Miss McCraven's class. But there was a subconscious reason. I had English in room 318 last semester. But no one in that class knew it, so I just looked dumb. I locked eyes with a girl in another one of my classes (whom I'm sure I will be mocked by tomorrow), froze on the spot, and laughed as I muttered a "Sorry," and walked out the door.

Of course, I laughed at myself for a good 10 minutes when I got to my rightful spot and have told the story to as many people as possible.

And then I found 5 dollars.
Katie K.

1 comment: