Monday, November 16, 2009

when all we have is music

since i spent the entire summer away in vermont, i have been trying to spend as much time at home as i can this semester to make up for lost time with my family! my dad and i had tickets to go see the mississippi state vs. alabama game together on saturday, so i headed on home after class friday.

for dinner friday night, my parents and i went to eat at davenport's pizza in mountain brook village. it is my family's favorite restaurant, and i can't tell you how many times i have eaten there over the course of my lifetime. i honestly would be scared to know. even still, we continue to go!

however, this friday night was special. we were eating at davenport's because 32 years ago, almost to the day (november 11th would have been exact), my parents went on their first date there. it was back when they were in high school, mom was in 10th grade and dad in 11th. they went to dinner before the briarwood state championship football game. yes, my parents also went to briarwood... the whole story can really begin to make me sick.

as a child, i grew up hearing my parent's "love story," high school sweethearts and all. because of that influence, i just thought that high school was where all the magic happened. little did i know... but sadly, 10th grade came and went for me without even a boyfriend. as did the rest of high school. i had to quickly come to the realization that my parents are in a very small percent of people that actually work out the way they did.

as glad as i am that their story is not my own, i love it for them! getting to celebrate 32 years of dating (25 of marriage) with them was surprisingly special. they have one of the most genuine relationships that i have ever seen, and i don't thank god often enough for the incredible role models they are to me.

so congratulations mom & dad! i love you.

and similarly, roll tide! 10-0 feels oh so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment